It’s been a while since my most recent post. Since then, I’ve become an official Ubuntu member, Ubuntu (and family) 13.10 was released, and I’ve been hacking on Parole Media Player. Today’s news, however, is all about Parole.
GTK+ 3, GStreamer 1.0, and Bug Fixes Galore
Today marks the first development release of Parole Media Player 0.6 (version 0.5.90). Over the past few weeks, Simon Steinbeiß and I have been focusing our development efforts to bring together a shiny new version of Parole. We’ve completed ported and refreshed the interface to GTK+ 3, improved GStreamer 1.0 support to the point that we now recommend that over 0.10, and have fixed a lot of long-standing issues. Here’s the Changelog…
- Completed port to GTK+ 3
- Removed deprecated GTK+ 2 symbols
- Use GtkOverlay for the playback controls
- Use symbolic icons for menus and plugins
- Improve window maximization
- Window dimensions are no longer saved when maximizing the window
- Added a new Xfconf setting “window-maximized” to keep your preferred maximization across sessions
- Rearranged and improved the menubar
- Renamed “Edit” menu to “Playback”
- Renamed “Languages” menu item to “Audio Track”
- Added a new “Tools” menu
- Moved the “Plugins” and “Preferences” menu items to the “Tools” menu
- Added a new “DVD” menu, which houses DVD playback controls and is only shown when a disc is being played
- Added “Save Playlist” menu item to the “Media” menu
- Added “Report Bug” menu item to the “Help” menu
- Improved the playlist
- Use an inline-toolbar for a more streamlined experience
- Removed the redundant Settings button
- Added Move Up/Down buttons to make reorganizing the playlist easier
- Added Previous/Next track actions to the Tray and Notification plugins
- Other improvements
- Updated artwork (background image, icons)
- Fixed GStreamer 1.0 support
- Added ability to play DVD ISO files form the Open Dialog
- Improved plugin failure detection so users know something has gone wrong
- Bugs fixed
Parole Media Player now has the following requirements (please correct me if I am wrong):
- GTK+ 3.2 or above
- GLib 2.32 or above
- Gio 2.28 or above
- DBus 0.60 or above
- DBus Glib 0.70 or above
- GStreamer: base, video, interface and GStreamer X version 0.10.24 or above
- libxfce4ui 4.11.0 or above
- libxfce4util 4.11.0 or above
How Do Get It?
To get Parole 0.5.90, download the source files from here. Take note of the new build requirements listed above.
For Ubuntu users, you can get Parole Media Player from my daily PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:smd-seandavis/xfce-4.12-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install parole
What about GTK+ 2?
All future development efforts will be focused on Parole 0.6 and GTK+ 3. Bug fixes will be provided for the last GTK+ 2 version 0.5.x in the 0.5 branch.
We’re doing everything we can to make Parole 0.6.0 the best release yet. But we need your feedback.