Start up the hype machine! We’re going to take a look at what’s coming in Xubuntu 14.04.
With only two days before final release, let’s take a look at what’s new in the next LTS release of Xubuntu. Here’s 14 things that make the biggest splash this time around.
- Brand new theme for the LightDM GTK+ Greeter login/lock screen.
- A new “Suru”-styled default wallpaper.
- Six wallpapers were selected from a pool of community-submitted wallpapers and included. See each of the winning submissions here.
- A new panel layout. As featured below: [Whisker Menu] [Window Buttons] [Notification Area] [Indicator Plugin] [Clock]
- “Whisker Menu”, a modern menu applet, is included by default.
- The indicator stack has been updated. Network, Power, and Sound are included and fully functional.
- The themes included come from the popular Shimmer Project and Numix Project.
- Xscreensaver has been removed in favor of Light Locker. Light Locker uses LightDM to lock the screen, merging the functionality of the login screen and the lock screen. Light Locker Settings is included to make configuration a simple task.
- Mugshot, the simple user configuration utility, is now included by default.
- The Alacarte menu editor has been removed in favor of MenuLibre.
- Parole Media Player’s plugins are once-again fully-functional.
New Xfce Features
- The Xfce Display Settings now supports monitor hotplugging.
- The Xfce Compositor now supports zooming. Just hold Alt and scroll the mousewheel up or down.
- Xubuntu 14.04 features more keyboard shortcuts and better compatibility with multimedia keyboards.
- Web Browser: WWW or Home Page or Super+W
- Mail Reader: Mail or Super+M
- File Manager: My Computer or Super+F
- Terminal: Super+T or Ctrl+Alt+T
- Display Settings: Display or Super+P
- gmusicbrowser: Music
- Calculator: Calculator
- Pidgin: Messenger
- xkill: Ctrl+Alt+Escape